IU Health Patient Journey Mapping
How might we improve IU Health's systems through mapping the patient journey?
Improve Healthcare Systems Through Mapping The Patient Journey
In order to keep up with the pressures of a rapidly changing industry and increased customer expectations, Indiana’s largest healthcare provider and hospital group needed to better understand their patient experience across a network of 15 hospitals and over 150 medical office buildings.
- IU Health needed a better understanding of their patient experiences across 15 hospitals and 150+ medical buildings
- Needed to keep up with increased customer expectations
- Engage and connect with 500+ patients and 90+ internal team members to capture their stories and develop a system-wide journey map
- 4 separate overarching patient journeys
- 7 stakeholder sessions
- Executive leadership now have a way to see whole system through their patients' eyes, which directly informed strategic initiatives to address identified opportunities for improvement
- 5 comprehensive customer journey maps to give insights about what really matters to patients
When IU Health shifted under new leadership, they were launching a new brand—a revitalized approach to patient care that would leverage the voice of customers not just as feedback, but as the primary input in designing solutions. The challenge of understanding what patients currently experience and design to create more consistent, better service delivery was assigned to the IU Health’s rising Experience Design team—who called Collabo in to partner on one major initial task.
A consultation with IU Health project leads identified how a huge this lift would actually be:“How can we understand patient journeys across all service lines in all locations?” In a matter of four months, Collabo’s research team had:
- Got face-to-face with people, interviewing more than 500 patients at the point of service
- Broke down the stories and mapped them against IU Health’s mental model of experience
- Visualized and explained the journeys of each unique patient segment
- Identified strategic pain points that matter most to their patients
What resulted were four overlapping journey maps used to communicate and express the current state. Internally, the result helped create a high-level map of the current universe for the IU Health Experience Design team. It also established a way of explaining and engaging with other departments to work well together in fixing hot spots. YAY, Teamwork!! As soon as we completed the patient journey maps, the Experience Design team double-downed and said journey mapping would be the way IU Health would capture patient perspectives—and again asked Collabo to help. Collabo burned some midnight oil and developed a seminar for IU Health’s Journey Mapping training—one that would provide the tools and prepare leaders for consistent use. This would result in IU Health creating its own research team with the ability to take on journey maps alone. (PROTIP: Customer journey mapping should be an ongoing practice for any customer-centric organization. Do you have a journey map? Is it up to date?) Collabo showed up with said toolkit and curriculum in hand. Over several days, IU Health team members practiced using a custom:
- Guidebook for journey mapping
- Process for getting it done
- Tools for understanding patients
- Skills to pay to the bills, er … use the tools well
Those journey maps continue to this day. Happy to say IU Health’s Experience Design team is taking a progressive approach to the way they work. Their innovation excites us as a partner and we look forward to their continued transformation!
Ready to get started?
"The team at Collabo Creative has been a pivotal partner in helping our organization take our customer experience strategy to the next level. They have partnered with us on a variety of successful projects, but more importantly Terri and Pam have helped us change the way we think about our work to be more effective as individuals and as a team. Highly recommend!"
Customer Experience, IU Health